beautiful lakeside fortress town
an 800 year old small town in the Canton of Fribourg, located
6km northeast of Avenches, is the main city of the Fribourg lake
district and is situated on the language border. It is bang on
the Röstigraben (linguistic divide), though among its 5,000
inhabitants, German speakers far outnumber francophones (who
call the place Morat).
Murten, which shares the same name as the town, has helped the
development of tourism. The town and its lakeside boardwalk are
just right for strolling, shopping or enjoying the sights.
great historical significance of the town is its town wall ("remparts,
in French), extraordinary towers, and wonderful castle.
is also one of the best preserved of Switzerlands medieval
towns, and is still encircled by its fifteenth-century walls.
cobbled lanes, lakeview terrace cafés and lake, is the
perfect place for a lazy, romantic getaway.
towns name is derived from the Celtic word moriduno, meaning
lakeside fortress. A fire in 1416 led to rebuilding
in stone, a useful move since, shortly after, in June 1476, Murten
allied itself with Bern and Fribourg against the Burgundians
and found itself facing down a concerted siege from Charles the
the right is a view of Lake Morat seen from the remparts, the
walls that encircle the town.
of the best ways to see Murten is from the ramparts, accessible
at a number of points along Deutsche Kirchgasse. The main eastern
gate is the Berntor, or Porte de Berne, with a distinctive clock
face; paths lead from here downhill to the tiny harbour.
minutes west along the lakefront promenade, just below the castle,
is an old mill, now the towns museum, housing a diverting
collection of archeological bits and pieces exposed when dredging
of the marshes to the east lowered the water level in the lake
to reveal evidence of Neolithic settlement.
aerial view of the town and the lake. On the bottom of the picture
you can see the ramparts of Murten.