Grajaú, Andaraí, São Cristóvão
and Vila Isabel are the main districts in the North Zone. It
is surrounded by mountains and hills, looking very different
from the south of the city, where beaches are concentrated.
at Quinta da Boa Vista, this former residence of the Brazilian
imperial family became a museum in 1892, with a large collection
in display, distributed in an area of 3.800 m². The National
Museum has fossils, stuffed animals, many Egyptian and Greek
collections and others. The museum is divided in six departments:
Anthropology, Botany, Geology/Paleontology, Entomology, Invertebrates
and Vertebrates. It was the first scientific institution in Brazil,
created by Dom João VI in 1818. Today it is part of Rio
de Janeiro Federal University (Universidade Federal do Rio de
Janeiro - UFRJ).
Zoo (Jardim Zoológico do Rio de Janeiro) and the Fauna
Museum (Museu da Fauna) are also located at Quinta da Boa Vista.
farm in the past, the Paço de São Cristóvão,
built in 1600, and property of the Portuguese Elias Antonio Lopes,
was donated to Dom João VI when he moved with the royal
Portuguese family to Brazil in 1808.
is the Quinta da Boa Vista park, where the museum is located.
It's a large area used for recreation during the weekends, when
many kids visit the zoo.